August 25, 2021
Dear FCNC Neighbors and Friends:
The LFUCG Council Committee on Planning and Public Safety (PPS) met on August 10 and discussed the proposed zoning ordinance text amendment (ZOTA) legalizing Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs). After presentations by Planning staff and public comments, the PPS committee members had a Q&A with Planning staff. It was clear that many of the Council Members were asking questions on behalf of constituents. (View the meeting recording here)
The decision was made to hold a Special PPS committee meeting devoted solely to a public hearing on the proposed Accessory Dwelling Unit ZOTA. This meeting will be held on Tuesday September 14 at 5:00 p.m. in-person in Council Chambers. Masking will be required to attend the hearing. Before and during the hearing will be the most critical time to get your concerns, questions, and suggestions registered with Council.
Fayette County Neighborhood Council has cancelled its previously scheduled September 13 General Meeting and requests that you attend the September 14 PPS Committee meeting instead. All Council Members will participate in this hearing. We anticipate that the PPS committee will make a recommendation based on public comments heard September 14 and on comments they have received otherwise and send their recommendation to the full Council for a final vote on the ZOTA.
In the meantime, we encourage individuals, Neighborhood Associations, Home Owners Associations, and any concerned community groups to continue Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) lobbying efforts:
- Contact your LFUCG At-Large and District Council Members (click on the map to find them) by email, U.S. Postal mail, phone, or LexCall 311 app. You also can call 311 and ask to speak directly to a Council Member.
- Submit a Lexington Herald Leader letter to the editor (200 words) or an Op Ed column (650 words) (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Post on NextDoor, Facebook, your community blogs or newsletters, and other social media.
Please note the following documents that can be used to support your effort:
- FCNC Chief Points on the ADU ZOTA (long version drafted 8-16-2021)
- FCNC Letter to Council Members regarding the proposed ZOTA (sent 8-16-2021)
- Current ordinance with proposed changes
- LFUCG Division of Planning supports allowing Accessory Dwelling Units in nearly all residential zones – Planning Division’s ADU web page
Individuals and neighborhoods need to both contact Council Members NOW and speak at the September 14 PPS meeting if they are to have an impact. Concentrate on the issues that are important to you and be accurate. (It is likely that speakers at the September 14 meeting will have the usual total of 3 minutes speaking time to make their point.) If you have any questions, please contact FCNC at email@example.com.
Walt Gaffield, President
Fayette County Neighborhood Council, Inc.